CLICK HERE FOR BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND MYSPACE LAYOUTS »

Thursday, July 24, 2008

On the streets of Jakarta

Tugu Selamat Datang - a snapshot of a famous Jakarta landmark which I managed to capture from Tante Ret's Kijang (Toyota Unser)

Jakarta is really a crazy city traffic-wise. It's infamous for it's horrific traffic jam. Macet terus-terusan...

One time we were in the Blue Bird taxi for almost two hours in a journey which could easily take only 30 minutes at most. I nearly threw up in the car from the suffocation. I don't have much to say for the air quality either.

Bajai or bajaj is the preferred mode of transportation for short distances...


The highly-densed city's streets are packed up with the young and old...

...unfortunately beggars like these are not an uncommon sight

Having said all that, one do get to see the cheerful side of the city streets here as well-- sidewalk traders selling their stuff adds colour to the busy walkways...

...this young man selling otak-otak didn't shy away when I coaxed him to pose for the camera

...fresh fruits

...drinks, anyone?

10 comments:

Waterlily said...

Hi!

Did you try the Nasi Padang at Sari Ratu? Cant remember whether it was located at Senayan or Plaza Indonesia, but they have a few outlets. Kat KLCC pun ada, but it tastes much better in Jakarta.

Anonymous said...

Waduh, jalan nye macet yea... menengan jalan aje.

MHB said...

waterlily-- hello there!

Yes, we had Sari Ratu Nasi Padang in Plaza Senayan... at first I had my reservations coz been to their KL outlets a few times.. nak gak try benda lain, but we arrived late that nite and had no better options, so we went ahead. Yeah, the food tasted better in Jakarta la..

MHB said...

daybab -- ya buk... lupa lak ibuk bakal nikah ama Bapak dari Jakarta... hehe

ms hart said...

Ha ha...I did the same thing - snap photos of the landmarks while stuck in the forever macet!!

Amy said...

The last time I went (in the 90s) Mangga Dua tu baru bukak :).. there was one road where we got stuck in the jam. I can see their people salin baju bawah jambatan, they are practically living under the bridge! Yg miskin, miskinnn sangat, yg kaya, kaya bangatt. Memang heart attack dgn traffic kat sana..and they drove very close to each other, I rasa kalau I sua jari kat luar tingkap pun bleh cecah tingkap seblah..iskk :)
But u had a nice there kan? :)

Anonymous said...

Hi.. i have been reading your blog a little, & really, you have 2 very adorable girls.
I need to check with you on the wayabouts or contact to the chalet you blogged about at Cameron Highlands.

Appreciate if you could provide.

yvonne

MHB said...

ms hart -- the traffic is just terrible, isn't it? I wondered how many babies were born in the vehicles everyday hehe...

MHB said...

amy -- yes, memang ngeri... the distance between a car and another is less than 1 inch!!

MHB said...

yvonne -- hi there! thanks for dropping a line - the contact for Bala's Chalet is +605-491 1660. You can also go here : http://www.balaschalet.com/

have fun in Cameron's!