CLICK HERE FOR BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND MYSPACE LAYOUTS »

Tuesday, March 25, 2008

This and that...

I barely had anything done in the office today. First half of the day was spent moving my stuff to our temporary office two floors down. This is to make way for the renovation works at our current place.

We'll be at this 'transit' office for about a month before moving back to our renovated space. I also had to attend an internal meeting in the morning.

Second half of the day was spent attending another meeting in Cyberjaya, together with my boss and our consultants. It was such a hectic day that I didn't have time for lunch. Thanks to Z who treated us drinks after the meeting. I had more than just coffee, to make up for lunch.

Driving home, Maira called to ask me if I was going to pick up her swimming suit which I had sent to the shop yesterday to have the zipper fixed (the zipper got spoilt last week when her friend helped her zip up for swimming lessons). Thank God she called, coz I was ready to just drive straight home. Totally forgot that I had to pick it up for her lessons tomorrow.

Came home to Misha's "Mommy, I need to bring potato stamps for art tomorrow". Ok. So, this was what I managed to carve out of the potatoes. Not so imaginative, eh? Mommy dah tak de idea, la Misha...

While helping them with homework, they realised that both of them need to bring water colours to school for art class tomorrow and there's only one set at home (which puzzles me coz' I distinctly remembered getting one each early in the year). And Maira kept saying she needed to bring Manila card as well. Why lah only tell me now?

So off I went after Isya' to the nearest store to get a set of water colour and some Manila cards.

Now here is the best part of the day! It was quite a long queue at the express counter (I had like 5 items) and so were the other four people in front of me, all anxious to pay and get going as it was already past 9. Suddenly, here comes an old auntie, in her 70s probably, with a Colgate toothpaste in her hand who 'potong queue' in front of the guy before me.

I had hoped the guy wouldn't get mad at the old lady (she was really old) as she is, after all a 'warga emas' and probably really badly needed to get that toothpaste at that certain hour heheh! Thank God he didn't say a word.

Next thing I know, the auntie was saying terima kasih, terima kasih and touching the guy's arms and appearing to be so grateful. She even had some tears in her eyes and kept on saying something else in Mandarin while touching the guy until he got embarrased.

Wanna know why? The toothpaste cost her RM5.20 and she only brought with her RM5! And so, upon hearing from the cashier that the old lady is short of 20 sen, the guy took out 20 sen from his pocket and paid the balance.

The thing was, she was so so grateful at this young Malay chap -- seriously, her eyes were gleaming. And the guy tertunduk malu-malu... It was like watching a scene from one of Yasmin Ahmad's ads. So sweeeett... so muhibbah! Just wish I had my camera with me!

I tell you, seeing that made me feel alive. Made me realise there's still compassion and gratitute amongst people out there.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Bila baca you cakap pasal potato, I selalu teringat how I always only managed to tell mama only the night before that I needed to bring potatoes to school for art classes. Then she will korek tempat sayur dlm fridge tu, carve it for me. Macam2 la art classes tapi Mama is always there to help, buatkan gam kanji, or stick the penyepit kayu to make small furnitures, help do the paintings, potong botol for orchid pots...ahhh macam2 lagi memories. I'm sure when your daughter grow up dia pun akan remember you macam mana I remember. :) (panjang plak comment)

Ryehanna said...

Oh..i wish u brought ur camera too...mmh mcm ad yasmin ahmad... =)

MHB said...

amy -- nostalgic, huh? you are so lucky to have a mom like that. Insyaallah, I hope one day my girls will remember their childhood as being a joyful time.

blooming sakura -- tu la... always carry my camera with me, but didn't anticipate to capture anything on my short trip to the supermarket last night... tu yang tak bawak tu...