CLICK HERE FOR BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND MYSPACE LAYOUTS »

Tuesday, April 1, 2008

Tosai reminds me of...

Maira wanted to have some roti canai after the girls' C0mputert0ts class on Sunday and off we went to a mamak restaurant.

I ordered tosai for myself. Misha and my friend Annie who was with us ordered the same thing too.

While chatting and waiting for our food, the little drizzle turned into heavy rain. A little while later, our food came.

In the same exact moment that the first bite of tosai lusciously dabbed in coconut chutney enters my mouth, a certain person came into my mind -- my late mother in-law, Mak.

In that split second, I had a lump in my throat.

There and then, I suddenly remembered that the last time I had tosai was in Penang when we visited her in August last year. I had some work to do in Penang and took the kids and maid to see her.

I remember the last night we were there, we had supper at a mamak restaurant near her place and of course, she had her favourite tosai. Not one, but two!

Mak was a very special woman. And strong, too.

Mak was widowed at the age of 36 when her husband died of a stroke at the age of 42.

Left with six children ranging from the age of 17 to 2, Mak was now alone and had to fend for herself, her kids and an elderly mother. Being an only child, she did not have any siblings to turn to either.

I am still in awe everytime I try to imagine how she managed everything -- being uneducated, unstreetwise and all.

But she did.

You name it, she did it. Jual kuih, jahit baju etc. After awhile she finally landed herself a stabil job as a general worker in a university in that island state. She was now a gomen employee with medical and pension benefits.

Mak never remarried, though she was very much a looker (anak mami!) and had many suitors.

"Mak takut kalau mak kawin nanti anak-anak tak dapat kasih sayang", she once said. And with remarrying, there goes her late hubby's pension (I don't know bout now, but those days if a woman remarries, she can say goodbye to her late spouse's pension -- how unfair!)

She continued to work until retirement age, though all of her children (except for Zamri who was in uni) had already made it on their own. She just didn't want to be dependent on her kids, "Mak tak mau anak-anak susah, depa pun dah ada tanggungjawab masing-masing," she would say.

Not only did she bury her husband, she also buried her fifth child in 1985 when Achik Lan was killed in a motocycle accident.

And last year, she buried yet another son, her anak manja, Zamri, my hubby (I still find it weird to call him my 'late' husband).

You could say she's been through it all.

She also saw three of her kids graduate from foreign universities and even stayed for two years in the US when my sis-in-law did her PhD in the early nineties.

Mak passed away on 27 November last year, just 9 months after her youngest son's passing. And just 10 days after she left our home to go back to Penang.

The night before she went back, she told me, "Mak ni dah tua... dah tak larat nak duduk lama-lama di KL. Mak tak saaaabaaaaaq nak balik Penang...".

Mak left us dengan mata tertutup rapat. And rezeki dia, she got to be buried beside her husband after 35 years.

Tosai, among many other things, would always remind me of Mak.

10 comments:

D said...

She sounds like a very strong woman. I am sure she is your source of inspiration too!! Allah helps us in various ways - just hold on to that, as I often remind myself.

Hugs.

MHB said...

d -- glad to see u here again. When my hubby left, his siblings told me, "history is repeating itself"... I pray I have half the strength of my MIL.

Alhamdulillah.. Allah works in mysterious ways.

Take care and hugs for you and the Fab Four.

ms hart said...

Salam myheartbleeds, it's so heartwarming to read about your arwah MIL. No wonder you are so strong. You are surrounded by super-duper-women!

Hmm...a friend told me you might be the daughter of arwah Pak M****! Is it true? Then are you T***?? You know why? If that's really you, do you know that we were once room-mate during a weekend journalism workshop many many many years ago, organized by PERTAMA? It was somewhere in Youth Centre Ceras, I think. Betul ke ni? Oh tidak, If it's true, memang confirm I ni selalu terjejak kasih kat blogsphere!!! I wonder if you remember me but we hanged around together during the whole duration of the workshop. There were 3 of us - me, you and one Chinese participant from BSN! You just left school and I was in Uni. Think back!!! Betul ke ni? Kalau salah, it's ok. he he

p/s I didn't recognize you at the first instance because now you are in your tudung! But when I look at your pix again, yes..the smile is familiar!

Anonymous said...

hi...wow!!..your late MIL was such a strong lady...

you will be doing fine too...Insyaallah..

take care..

MHB said...

ms hart -- I found you first! Actually left a comment on your blog back in Feb. Go and check out the comments in your KASEH entry!

Did you ever get to read it? Since you did not respond to my comment, I had thot that maybe I shiok sendiri and got the wrong person! Honestly, I was excited at the prospect of finding the person I thought you were. I remember you as someone who soooo want to be a writer but have to do l*w since your scholarship from the rich oil company wants you to do so? Betul kah? See... I have good memory too!

Anyways, this was my comment:

Dear Ms Hart,

Stumbled upon your blog after reading bout it from 3540 Jalan Sudin. Did you ever attend a journalism/writing course some 18 years ago in Int Youth Centre in Cheras? Your name (and you mentioned Wirda is your idol) just rang a bell..

February 2, 2008 1:58 AM

Supposed that answered your question on my identity!

MHB said...

ladydi -- yup, she was! thanks for the du'a ;)

Anonymous said...

Your youngest daughter looks like her :-)

MHB said...

anonymous -- you think so? I suppose the resemblance is inevitable? ;) Many say muka my youngest ni sebijik macam daddy dia...

ms hart said...

Oh noo.....T***.....so glaaaaad I met you here!!! (Kan dah, kan dah....!!) Hugs, hugs, hugs....You are definitely faster than I am - that day you caught me typing your link wrongly in my blogroll, and now you are telling me you've visited my 'house' and I don't even know you've left a little note on the coffee table???? aaaarghh......bad host, bad host!!! So sorry, and yes, thank you even though sooooo belated!! No wonder kan, somehow, I feel some chemistry every time I drop by your lovely house but I thought it could be our sharing the same likings towards flowers etc etc, our being Minang etc etc...eee...T***, we MUST catch up one fine day!! You were such a sweet young girl then and I supposed it was just so natural for us to have clicked together!! Aaaaah...this is so sweet...!!

MHB said...

Ms hart!!! :-)

It's been ages! You know, sometimes someone crosses your path just briefly, but the impression that they make lasts forever!

Yes... we SHUD meet up! Soon!

:-) and still smiling...