CLICK HERE FOR BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND MYSPACE LAYOUTS »

Tuesday, December 16, 2008

Happy Birthday, Mami!!

My mom was born on 15 Dec, 68 years ago. This post is a little belated, I know -- but a significant event such as the birth anniversary of a person who gave birth to moi deserves a special entry.

At 68 years of age, my mother shows no sign of slowing down. I can safely say her life is even more hectic than mine, attending to business, events and social functions. I thought I'd never say this, but I hope I'd have half her zest for life when and if I ever reach that age!!

As the second eldest sister in a matriarchal Minangkabau family (elder to three younger sisters in KL - eldest sister lives in Kedah), she is the leader of the pack—head honcho if you would. Mami is the sixth child out of 10 – five girls and five boys. Except for one, all four elder brothers have passed on while Mami and her two younger sisters are widows.

She is indeed the pillar of strength amongst our family members – the ‘orang tua’ we all look up to. She is the glue that keeps the family together.

We surprised her on Sunday with a little birthday do attended by close family members.

So, to Mami -- Happy Birthday and I pray I can be the anak solehah that I should!! And though these words seldom come out from your only biological daughter, I know that you know I love you!!

Happy birthday, Mami!!

* the yummylicious birthday carrot cake was baked by my niece, the budding baker Mya.

24 comments:

mamasita said...

Hai Happy Belated Birthday to your mum!Looking at how you all have surprised her with a little birthhday celebration,I am sure she cannot describe how lucky she is to be blessed with wonderful-hearted children!

Selamat panjang umur sihat wal'afiat and bahagia selalu to your Mami ye..

Come over to my blog whenever you need some 'rojak' stories to cheer you up ok?See ye!

ms hart said...

Wow...Alhamdulillah, semoga your mom dipanjangkan umur, diberi kesihatan yang baik dan dimurahkan rezeki selalu. One thing for sure, dia memang dah diberi rezeki mendapat anak yang sangaaaaat baik macam you!

p/s remember you said you didn't remember me as 'the noisy one' during thaaat workshop, well, masa tu kenalah behave sebab segan (hormat) kat people like your mom!!

tireless mom said...

Dear MHB

Happy belated bithday to your mum. Syurga di bawah telapak kaki ibu. Agree with Ms Hart she is lucky to be granted a lovely daughter like you, and vice versa.

Anonymous said...

Waaaahhhhhh.... DayBab dapat publicity lerrrrr... hehehehehehe.

MHB said...

mamasita -- thanks for the wish, sis!!

we all can be better children, I'm very sure of that -- especially me!! hehe

hope she feels appreciated that day -- she's always doing something for us & other people, sekali-sekala it's nice to do something for her pulak...

MHB said...

ms hart -- thank you for the wish, sis!! You know, mengalir airmata I (emo queen nye I nih!!) when I read "anak yang sangaaaaat baik"... sedih (honestly, bkn ngada2)... I definitely can be a better daughter tauuuu... insya-Allah, I vow to be a better daughter than I've been to my mom...

p/s did you meet my mom then?? :-D

MHB said...

tireless mom -- thanks for the wish, sista!! Yup, syurga dibawah telapak kaki ibu, kan... moga2 kita semua diridhai ibu2 kita...ameen.

MHB said...

daybab -- hehe :-D

ms hart said...

Of course I did! She's the 'orang kuat' masa tu kan?

MHB said...

ms hart -- uhhhmmmm... honestly I don't remember!! teruknye I ni kann!! well, I'm glad someone did!! :-D kalau workshop tu gave out a best participant award/most attentive participant, I'm sure you'd win it!! (errr you didn't win anything, did you??)

Queen Of The House said...

Happy belated birthday wishes for your mom! I pray that she be blessed with continued good health always. She sounds like an amazingly strong person :D

MHB said...

Queen -- thanks for the b-day wish. She is a strong person indeed -- so unlike me!! hehe ... our personalities memang agak clash sikit, but I find myself to be more and more like her as I get older and that's a scary thought!! :-D

wanshana said...

Happy birthday to your Mami!

Semoga dipanjangkan umur, dimurahkan rezqi dan dikurniakan kesihatan yang baik.

She sounds like an amazing lady, just like her daughter :) She's very lucky to have a daughter like you, you know?

Take care :)

MHB said...

wanshana -- thanks for the wish! Ameen, ameen, ameen...

thanks for the kind words ya :-D malu la... hehe

Kak Teh said...

a happy belated birthday your mami! She is blessed to have all of you, remembering and celebrating her birthday.
Semoga dipanjangkan umur dan dimurahkan rezki.

MHB said...

Kak Teh -- thanks, Kak Teh!! Gosh... am getting old as I asyik terlupa to send sis your regards the other day. She was with us celebrating Mami's b-day too.

D said...

aaah... you're definitely of good breed, dear!

May Allah bless your mom and her wonderful family always. Ingat, you're lucky to have your mom all your life; I only had mine around for 4 years! Still, we are blessed...

Kak Teh said...

That's okay. You can add a Hug to the salam, next time you meet her.

MHB said...

D -- thank you and yesss... I did thought about you and your beloved late mom when I was writing the entry tauuu... yes, we are all blessed, each in our own way!! :-D

MHB said...

Kak Teh -- insya-Allah, I will remember to do so next time I see her in Feb -- she's leaving for NY tomorrow to see her two youngest there.

EFS said...

happy belated birthday to Tok Teh. Pls send her my regards. Hope to meet you & Tok Teh soon!

MHB said...

efs -- thanks! Insya-Allah, she'll be there in Selayang this weekend. Meanwhile I have to be in Langkawi for work :-(

jabishah said...

Happy Belated` Birthday to your mom..

You know, Im a Minangkabau descendent myself... Who knows? We might be related. Bau2 nangka gitu ;-)

MHB said...

jabishah -- ye ke?? kita & ms hart geng la cam ni... bau2 nangka?? more like bau2 randang ayam or kalio dagiang!! hehe