CLICK HERE FOR BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND MYSPACE LAYOUTS »

Friday, September 12, 2008

Raya on my mind (already??)

Dah siap shopping raya semua? Ya, though I confessed to having completed shopping raya for my girls in Jakarta & Bandung last month, I couldn't resist getting them more stuff when we jalan-jalan at the mall last week. It was actually to get my maid some baju raya, but ended up getting the girls three new items each as well. Tu lah akibatnya shopping masa puasa... nafsu makan disekat, so nafsu shopping yang dilayan... ish ish...

I also got them a pair of ready-made baju kurung each on Sunday. I thought the baju looked sooo adorable... cannot tahan la... this is on top of 2 baju kurung which my mom tempah for them the other day. Now, have to think of a way to explain to mom pagi raya when the girls tak pakai baju yang dia buatkan... how ah? Dahlah she always tell people that she has given up buying things for me because I always dislike what she gets. Mesti dia kecik hati, kan? So my plan is for them to wear the more 'glamorous' baju kurung (glamorous sebab ada jahit labuci, tu je...) which I bought in the morning and then change into the 'sweet and humble' baju kurung which mom made in the evening. Ok kot...

My fav raya cookie Melting Almond dah sampai. My choc chip cookie and kuih samperit belum buat lagi. Plenty of time left to do some baking. The office will be closed for a week (three days of forced leave for everyone) during raya. A total of 9 days off work. Yeay!!

(Gambar untuk sekadar menghiasi post... these cookies are not mine...)

I have always always loved raya. Family gatherings, fabulous food, baju raya, melawat saudara-mara, rumah yang berseri-seri dengan cahaya Syawal etc. It truly is the best time of the year.

However, raya is different for us now. No more baju sedondon for the 4 of us. Just three. Of course, the difference is much much more than that. Ye la... what is raya without the one you love?? No more salam pagi raya from suami yang dikasihi and the list goes on (dah start sedih dah, so I better stop here - if I can help it, I takmo bersedih2 sgt).

Ok lah... sebelum dapat beraya, let's continue to menghayati Ramadhan yang tinggal 18 hari saja lagi. Insya-Allah the last ten nights of the current month of Ramadhan will start on Saturday night, 20 September, and the 27th night will then fall on Friday night, 26 September (thanks, Prof R*dza for the info). Hence, we can start to prepare/plan the necessary to grab the blessings and forgiveness from Allah SWT during this important period.

Selamat beribadah, y'all!!

16 comments:

Madam Tai Tai Again said...

Hi MHB,

Today is my turn to leave my first comment. Balas-membalas gitu.. :)

Since I'm not going home for raya, the preparation is practically negligible here. We shall whatever we have in the wardrobe. But my daughter and I ada lah tempah baju kurung when we were home last summer. So boleh lah mengayakan baju kurung kain saree.

As for kuih raya..hmm not very good at making cookies. Nanti buat keras mcm batu lak..so hopefully my sis will bring some over when she comes at the end of the month.

As for Ramadan...yay..we are nearly halfway there now. Let's hope it shall be smooth sailing all the way to the end.

MHB said...

MTT -- hellooo there!

baju kurung kain saree... sure lawa tu! I had one masa form 5 dulu (masa tu tengah musim -- I remember Sheila Majid donning baju kurung kain saree in fuchsia at the reception of her first wedding!)

I'm not good at making cookies either - but have to make a point to make kuih samperit as it was my late hubby's fav and my daughter too, and I want to make it a tradition so that when my daughters become mothers themselves they will continue the tradition. Bolehlah nanti I cerita kat cucu-cicit, it was their late granpa's fav kuih raya... (insya-Allah kalau ada rezqi umur panjang)

Ya... hope the rest of Ramadhan will be smooth sailing for us all, insya-Allah.

Waterlily said...

MyHeartbleeds

I'm a sucker for hari raya! Dah tua tua macam ni pun masih tinggi tahap excited nyer bila time raya..

Long long time ago (when I was 15 - 20 years old), selalu jugak buat kuih muih ni..especial kek kek lapis sarawak and the cookies. I dont know why, tetiba hilang jer minat buat kuih. Kalau buat pun sekali dalam dua tahun! Now selalu main tunjuk jer..so bila I tau ada orang still buat biskut, I tabik spring!!

p/s Shopping for raya never really ends until that last day of puasa..mesti ada menyelit sana sini..biasa tu..

Have a good day!

ms hart said...

Ahaaahhh...at last..so you finished your 'stock' of kuih jongkong?! he he.. I have only this to say - mujuuuuuuuuur lah kita dok jauh,kan? Kalau dekaaaaaat....memang I boleh bankrupt..sebab like you, my daya ketahanan bab-bab shopping is terribly low...heh heh...so bayangkanlah kalau kita shopping together-gether gitu?!

Have a good weekend and please, stay away from the shops selling girls' stuffs, will ya? ha ha ha

Anonymous said...

MHB,

I stumbled here while blog hopping and felt i have to comment... I love samprit too but its close to impossible to buy these days. I hardly have the time to bake any cookies so sekarang i am crazily yearning for samprit already ehhehehe

Aida - now need to hunt down samprit

MHB said...

waterlily -- samalah kita!! I lurvvveee raya...

Wow... kek lapis sarawak!! terrornye you. I know how you feel about those yang buat kuih raya sendiri (the reason I bake mine is to have some fun time with my girls)... last year my biras made like 7 types of cookies and I was like... what?? And she's a working single mom of four kids, without maid lagi!! some people are just born to be supermoms, I tell you!!

and oh..shopping memang tak boleh habis, kan??

MHB said...

ms hart -- ya betolll... kalau duduk dekat, sakiiittt poket kita nanti!! heheh

stay away from shops selling girls' stuff?? is that a reminder for me or for yourself?? muahahah!!

MHB said...

anon@aida -- actually, kan... memang susah jumpa samperit these days. Orang dah tak banyak buat traditional cookies like that now tuk jual...

Good luck with your samperit hunt!! ;-)

wanshana said...

Kueh samperit always brings back fond memories of yester rayas for me. Memang kueh wajib my Mom buat every raya. My siblings and I would help her arrange all the biskut raya dalam tin Milo...but, most of them would end up in our tummies. Hehehe!

I remember the old-style metal tube gadget/acuan yang pakai tekan-tekan tu (?!). Do people still use that thing to make biskut raya? (Sorry, I have NEVER baked any biscuits mysef seumur hidup!)

Selamat buat kueh raya :)

MHB said...

wanshana -- arranging all the biskut raya dalam tin -- until now I still have to do that @ mom's, but dalam balang kaca la.

Yes, still pakai acuan metal tu for samperit dari zaman-berzaman... lucky choc chip cookie pakai sudu je, senang sikit!!

Thank you for the kueh raya wishes :-) haha

D said...

selalunya I je yang beriya for Raya. so this year really dont have a clue how it's going to be like. tak nak sedih (like you), but i think it'll be sederhana je la...

kaseh said...

Salam,

How nice u dah siapkan baju raye untuk your 2 lovely princess. My boys esp Nabil asyik tanya Mummy why belum beli baju raye for my yet? Tahun ni he belajar puasa so i think mood nak raye tu semakin terasa. Then i said wait till mummy baik dari sakit (pantang) then we go and buy baju raye. Hmmm...Selamat berpuasa to u & kids

Anonymous said...

Assalamualaikum

Dear 'myheartbleeds',
I am one of your regular reader dari Ireland. I came across your blog from one of my other regular blog reads, madam tai tai.

I enjoy reading blogs written by mothers being one myself.

You are truly an inspirational muslimah. Your strength, presevere and faith in Our Lord, Allah SWT.

May you and your family always receive His blessings and His guidance in this life and thereafter, Amin Ya Rabbal Alamin

Salam from afar,
FD&family

MHB said...

d dear -- sederhana is good. keep whatever traditions you had as a family alive by continuing to do so. walau tak nak sedih (who are we kidding??), of course la memaaaang akan sedih, but I think we've learned the trick to cover, kan? it's a matter of whether we can pull it off at the right time ke tak :( insya-Allah, everything will be fine, we pray ya...

u take care!

MHB said...

kaseh dear -- glad you are feeling better and bila nak habis pantang?? Boleh belikan your two prince tu baju raya cepat-cepat!! hehe.

Selamat berpuasa to you too!

MHB said...

anon@fd -- Amen, ameen... Ya Rabbal Alameen...

Salam Fd, and thanks for leaving a comment :-)

For some reason your comment almost brought tears to my eyes. Me, an inspirational muslimah?? Malu, malu!! Malu pada diri sendiri and malu pada Allah!! I feel so smalllll when you say that. Ya Allah, banyaaaakkknya yang I kurang, only He knows!!

But thank you, thank you for the du'a. Moga-moga diperkenankan Allah. May you and family receive His blesings and guidance too, dear. Ameen.

Lastly, thank you God for making our paths cross. Siapa sangka ada orang from afar yang mendoakan I. For that, I am truly blessed. Alhamdulillah...