Maira goes to a different school this year. For two years, she schooled at my alma mater, CBN. It had always been a wish for me to be able to send her to that school as it was my school for 11 years, from Std 1 to Form 5 -- and I am proud to be a CBNer.
But the CBN of today is not the CBN of yesteryears. Perhaps I had over-romanticized the idea of the school so much so that the school barely met my expectations when I step foot in its grounds again 2 years ago when I sent Maira for the first time. Things have changed. I couldn't feel the 'spirit' of the old CBN. It had died.
But Maira did very well in CBN. She was first in all of Year 1 during her first-term examination. In her final exam in Year 2 last year, she finished 3rd in class, and and scored above 95% overall.
With Misha entering Year 1 in 2008, I decided back in November that I wanted them to have a taste of a different school system -- a school system which I never had the opportunity to experience. A school system which integrates Islamic values as a way of life.
They are now in a new school. It is in no way a CBN and I am so glad!
Alhamdulillah, only after a month of schooling, I have seen progress in the two of them. Maira, at 8+ , who have yet to complete the basic Iqra' series is now able to memorise Surah Al-Takwir (the first 21 out of 27 ayat for now -- she recites it well, to me at least).
Misha now memorises Surah Al-Duha by heart and recites it in the car, in the kitchen and while doing her homework. The kids are clearly enjoying the fact that they are capable of reading surahs from the Quran. It does wonders to their self-esteem.
I am so happy with their development and this just confirms that I have made the right decision for them to be schooled here. I feel very blessed. Once again, thank you to Allah swt...
Monday, February 4, 2008
New school, new outlook
Posted by MHB at Monday, February 04, 2008
Labels: maira and misha, school
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
0 comments:
Post a Comment